Monday, December 17, 2012

learning with puzzles



Sometimes learning vocabulary or the conjugation of verbs can be boring and tedious, but with puzzles it can become more amusing and engaging.

I forgot about using puzzles, until a friend of mine who teaches seventh grade, was telling me how she used a crossword puzzle the other day to review vocabulary. Regardless of the grade, I knew my students would like it. My freshmen were getting ready for a test and I decided to create on to reinforce the vocabulary and grammar topics from the textbook.

Like I mentioned before, I belong to Discovery Education through school, and the site offers a great puzzle maker.....puzzlemaker.com. All you have to do it plug in the words you want and it creates the puzzle for you.  After I created a “criss-cross” puzzle, I decided to create a word search, a personal favorite. The next day, they were a success and the students told me that it was a great review and fun. I let them work with a partner and they used their highlighters for the word search.

This is something that I use to do and not sure how I got away from doing this in class. It is a non threatening way to review for a test. Puzzles are associated with fun…what a fun way to review vocabulary and grammar. I also discovered my book series, one which I can not stand, offers a puzzle making component. I think it is the only redeeming quality of the book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment