Sunday, November 4, 2012

An interesting IPAD app...



I love my Ipad and it is one of my favorite toys.  A friend of mine who teaches elementary school showed me a great app that she uses to teach French vocabulary. It is  called  Frenchie Teachie by Voila Designs.  You can start off with a free version to give it a try, then upgrade to the full version for just a few dollars.  Children have an opportunity to learn vocabulary, and then play identification games. Some of the  thematic topics include treats, farm animals, fruits, sea creatures, kitchen, numbers, the alphabet and colors. You simply click a button to hear the pronunciation of the vocabulary word, then swipe for the next.  The native speaker is easily understood and the cartoon graphics are engaging and fun.  

 For the games, the learner sees and hears a French word.  When the corresponding image is correctly tapped, the child is rewarded with an enthusiastic “Yippee!” A successful round results in an adorable animated “comptine” sung by French children.  Traditional songs include À la Volette, À la Claire Fontaine, Il était un petite Navire, Promenons-nous dans les Bois, Il pleut Bergère, and Sur le Pont du Nord.  It’s a nice way to expose children to a little French culture! The Frenchie Teachie app is a wonderful way for children ages 6 and up to expand their French vocabulary.  I even recommend it for my middle schoolers who are “young at heart” since it will introduce some new words in a fun, stress-free way with NO English. I wish I knew about this app when I taught 5th grade one year. A year that I would like to forget…lol  It can be used with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod. 
 

Thanks to Voila Designs for this engaging French learning tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment