Monday, October 8, 2012

Using a video story as an alterante assessment..



I do not believe giving seniors a written final. They don’t study anyway, so I prefer  another form of assessment. I usually give them a list of proverbs, some we have learned in class or they are seeing for the first time. They must create a story of how the proverb came to exist. When I first did this project years ago, students use to create a book. Now with so much technology being available in schools, I have students create a video story.
It is a a lot of work and have students work with a partner and must narrate at least 5 slides each for a total of 10. They students must also find the appropriate pictures to narrate the story and use various tenses to communicate effectively. A written script must be turned in with the project. I like any additional effects or transitions of the story to create an interesting story. I provide a rubric so students know exactly what I am looking for in their project. It is a lot of work, but I think students enjoy making this video story and get more out of it than taking some written exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment